To be angry is easy , but to do it to the right person ,at the right time to the right degree is difficult - Aristotle
Anger can easily dominate you unless you take steps to control it. Being angry means to stop thinking rationally and that results in you making all the wrong decisions at the wrong time. So we know we have to control it. Here's how.
- Catch your stress early. Most of you are so used to walking around feeling stressed out that you aren't even aware that it is building inside you until all of a sudden KABOOM!.
- Try looking at things from a different perspective . I know it is easy said than done particularly when you rational brain has been hijacked by emotions. Slow down, become aware of how you are thinking . Ask yourself what kind of mood this is likely to put you in and if this is how you want to feel. If not ask yourself how you would rather feel and try to think of a different story to tell yourself that would make you feel this way. This is not impossible. It is only difficult at first and then practice makes perfect.
- Take care of yourself. Get the right amount of rest. Keep an eye on how much you drink. Enjoy yourself!
- Be realistic about your family. If Uncle Brad tells the same story every year, he's going to do it again. If your Aunt Lilly has a habit of criticizing everything she is still going to do that. You just have to see them for a few hours every year so try to enjoy the change by finding humor in it.
- Let bygones be bygones. That is the past. It is done and now you can't do anything about it. So just let it go. It will do you more good than keeping all that locked up inside you.
Anger effects the efficiency of your decisions and will affect your confidence levels greatly. It is an untamed animal in you and until you learn to tame it , you will be at its mercy.
More in the next post.